caniform creature. Winnie was purchased from a hunter in 1914 in White River, Ontario Canada by Lieutenant Harry Colebourn while on the way to England during the First World War. "Winnie" was a short form for Colebourn's hometown of Winnipeg, Manitoba. Colebourn took the bear to England and became accepted as The Fort Gary Horse regiment mascot. While the Lieutenant served in France, "Winnie" was provided a home at the London Zoo, where he was later donated to.